Saturday, October 22, 2005

More on Re-Branding

I heard it through the grapevine. Someone I know heard something from someone she knows. Mayfair Games was not going to support The Settlers Organizer. I had been hoping that they would recognize that there was good opportunity with The Settlers Organizer. Of course, calling my card organizer box "The Settlers Organizer" was to closely align my product with The Settlers of Catan, for which it was initially designed. I had wanted to call it "The Organizer of Catan", but that was not at all possible unless fully blessed by Klaus Teuber. Even so, if Mayfair Games objects, then I really can't even call it "The Settlers Organizer"

What I hadn't realized, until after speaking with Guido Teuber, was that the good folks at Mayfair Games considered The Settlers Organizer to be an identical (or sufficiently similar) product to The Catan Box.

I like The Catan Box; it is lovely, seems well designed and is quite practical (I just love practical), although it is not yet available for the North American sized cards. However, The Catan Box doesn't seem very useful for playing the games, just for storing them. I pointed this out to Guido Teuber, who will be reconsidering The Settlers Organizer as a product aligned with the Settlers family with some of the other members of Mayfair Games.

However, it might be much better simply to re-brand the product so that game players consider the Organizer in terms of its usability for other games. This would expand the market for the Organizer, thus allowing a lower price point, which would make retailers and consumers happier. It would obviate the need to align the Organizer with The Settlers of Catan; although I still like the idea of being aligned with The Settlers of Catan, it would be less complex and that is attractive.

Either way, the Organizer must be available for sale as soon as possible, or no one will be able to buy it, and that would be sad.

What do you think?

2 Comments:

At 11/23/2007 4:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just curious, did you patent your idea before sending it to Mayfair games?

 
At 11/24/2007 11:12 AM, Blogger Peter Degen-Portnoy said...

Thanks for your question. Yes, my Hold-it! Game Card Organizer is patent pending, and the file date is long before I approached Mayfair. Inventors, as a rule, should file a patent application, or at least a provisional patent application, before promoting their invention.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home